09 Feb Best Bipolar Disorder Home Detox Treatment
Bipolar disorder is a severe mental condition that can cause a lot of harm if left untreated. Previously called manic depression, it is an illness characterized by sudden, extreme changes in emotional states, mood, energy levels, judgment, and behavior. Patients need treatment to curb its effects, which include destroyed relationships, a decline in one’s performance in school or at work, and declining health, among others.
About 2.9 percent of Americans have bipolar disorder, and 83% of these cases are severe. Bipolar diagnosis often occurs among people aged 15 to 25 years. The condition can affect any age and any gender.
Patients with bipolar disorder are likely to experience other co-occurring conditions, such as addiction. Dual diagnosis refers to a situation where a person battling with bipolar disorder has a substance use disorder. It affects about 4% of people diagnosed with bipolar in America.
With the right care, you can manage a dual diagnosis. Treatment involves medicines, therapy, and lifestyle changes. Finding the right combination may take time, but once you find it, you can live a long, healthy life. Addiction treatment centers Los Angeles California offers programs that remedy both conditions concurrently. Seeking treatment from licensed facilities is an excellent way to manage the two disorders without putting yourself in danger.
Understanding Bipolar Disorder
Many people still do not understand bipolar disorder despite it affecting a significant portion of the population. Patients with bipolar disorder have sudden changes in their behavior, energy levels, and mood. Researchers continue to look for the exact causes of the ailment. They have put forward some theories about what causes it.
Some risk factors may make you susceptible to bipolar disorder. They include:
1. Drug abuse: Continuous use of substances such as alcohol alters how your brain functions making you likely to develop bipolar disorder or have the first episode. Alcohol rehab CA Los Angeles provides the treatment you need to curb your alcohol abuse. Managing your substance use disorder may reduce your likelihood of developing bipolar.
2. High stress: Stressful situations such as losing someone close to you, emotional suffering, or abuse can may you susceptible to bipolar disorder. Find ways of coping with these incidences to reduce your chances of developing bipolar.
3. Having a first-degree relative with bipolar – If your parent or sibling has bipolar, you are likely to develop the condition. Learn ways of preventing an episode from occurring and what to do when one happens to be ready if you have it.
Bipolar disorder can cause several problems if you do not manage it. These complications include:
- Suicidal thought which may result in a suicide attempt
- Destroyed relationships
- Legal and financial woes
- Substance dependence
- Erratic behavior exposing you to unnecessary risks
- Poor performance and neglecting your responsibilities at home, in school, or at work
Bipolar episodes can be in four categories. These classes are mania, major depressive, hypomania, and mixed incidences. The occurrences have different symptoms with varying severity and duration. Mania is the worst type of episode, and patients that experience it often have to stay in mental health facilities while getting better.
Some researchers have found that some people with bipolar have enhanced creativity. The condition makes it difficult for them to see plans through or be attentive for long. Therefore, they may start a lot of projects and abandon them before their completion.
The relationship between addiction and bipolar disorder is not clear. Some experts suggest that drug abuse alters the normal functioning of your brain. It changes the production of noradrenaline, serotonin, and dopamine. These chemicals manage your sleep pattern, reaction to stress, and emotions. Once their natural levels deviate, you are likely to have bipolar disorder. Other specialists say people with bipolar are prone to develop an addiction to cope with its effects.
Types of Bipolar Disorder
The classifications of bipolar include:
1. Bipolar I – this category of bipolar is the worst one. You need admission to a facility offering mental health services to manage it.
2. Bipolar II – in this occurrence, you will experience major depressive incidence then hypomania.
3. Drug-induced bipolar – substance use disorder can lead to bipolar addiction. Addicts need treatment to curb their dependence. Many facilities offer addicts drug and alcohol treatment in LA.
4. Cyclothymic disorder – patients with this bipolar have mild depressive and mania incidences for two or more years.
Causes of Bipolar Disorder
Bipolar disorder appears to be caused by a combination of factors rather than a single circumstance. Some causes of bipolar disorder include:
- Genetic factors – some researchers have found that bipolar is likely to appear in people who have direct family ties with someone who has the condition.
- Brain-chemical imbalances – neurotransmitter imbalances play a critical role in causing bipolar disorder.
- Hormonal problems – hormonal imbalances can cause bipolar.
At times, people with a genetic predisposition of bipolar disorder show no symptoms until environmental aspects cause the signs.
Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder
You may struggle to differentiate bipolar symptoms in teens and children with other struggles. Their symptoms may vary from those that adults portray. One way to tell whether a teen or child has bipolar is if their mood swings are extreme at times compared to other days. Seek a professional’s help to make a comprehensive judgment.
The various episodes of bipolar have their unique symptoms.
1. Delusional behavior
3. Grandiose feelings
4. Impaired judgment
5. Moments of irrational demoralization or optimism
6. Little sleep
7. Rapid talking
In this incidence, you go through mild forms of mania signs. The lack of psychotic symptoms makes people think they are well, and they continue with most aspects of their lives without a hitch.
Major Depressive Signs
In this occurrence, patients are susceptible to moments of despair and sadness that last weeks. Dual diagnosis is dangerous during this episode. People with bipolar may use more drugs to cope, which can be fatal. Patients are suicidal in this incidence. Seeking substances or crack addiction treatment Los Angeles county can help save your life.
One will have these signs:
1. Hopeless feelings
3. Suicidal attempts
4. Lack of interests in hobbies
6. Alteration of your appetite
Mixed Episode Symptoms
In this incidence, you will experience the symptoms of the other occurrences associated with bipolar disorder. Mania signs are less overwhelming and can last between days and months.
Treating Addiction with Bipolar Disorder
Having bipolar and drug disorders complicates treatment. License facilities that offer concurrent treatment give you the best chance of getting better. They help you through detox and recovery while working to deal with your bipolar disorder.
These therapies can help you deal with a dual diagnosis:
1. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) – this counseling helps you know patterns and behaviors that make you susceptible to the disorders. Once you know them, you work to find solutions and prevention strategies.
2. Trauma Therapy – going through traumatic events can lead to bipolar and addiction disorders. This counseling enables you to deal with these events. Confronting them allows you to get over them, and you will not act out or do drugs to cope.
3. Solution Focused Therapy (SFT) – in this counseling, you set milestones for your treatment. Attaining each motivates you to meet the next goal.
Common Drugs Used to Treat Bipolar Disorder
Your doctor may prescribe different medications depending on your symptoms. It may take years before you know the right dose for you. Once you are on the right medicines, using the right amount, and taking care of yourself, you can live a long prosperous life with bipolar disorder.
Medicines used to curb bipolar signs include:
1. Anti-anxiety medications – benzodiazepines can be used in the short term to improve sleep and manage anxiety
2. Antipsychotics – used to suppress persistent mania or depression symptoms. They include lurasidone (Latuda), ziprasidone (Geodon), and olanzapine (Zyprexa), among others.
3. Mood stabilizers – used to manage hypomania and mania incidences. Examples are valproic acid (Depakene), carbamazepine (Tegretol and Equetro, among others), and lithium (Lithobid).
4. Antidepressants – used to curb depression. Doctors prescribe them with an antipsychotic or a mood stabilizer as they can cause mania episodes on their own.
5. Antidepressant-antipsychotic – Symbyax combines the antipsychotic olanzapine and the antidepressant fluoxetine. It is a mood stabilizer that works as a depression drug.
Available Treatment Options
Dual diagnosis has the following treatment options. Consult your physician to know what treatment is likely to work with your condition.
1. Medical-Assisted Therapy
3. CBT, Psychotherapy, and Hospitalization.
Bipolar Disorder Home Detox Treatment
MD Home Detox provides dual diagnosis treatment in Los Angeles. Our team of specialists provides customized concierge services at your doorstep. This program allows you to safely get better while enjoying the privacy and confidentiality you desire. Our team takes your health and experiences into account while crafting your treatment regimen. You will take advantage of a familiar environment to help you get better, and our doctors will understand your surroundings to help them design the appropriate treatment plan for you.
Our services include interventions, home detox, executive detox, family therapy, and sober companion to help you get better. We also provide home IV, aftercare, and mental health programs. We specialize in curbing various substance use disorders, such as alcohol addiction Los Angeles. Our professionals are in different states across the country that include: California, Pennsylvania, Washington, New Jersey, Connecticut, and New York.
Dual diagnosis is a severe condition that needs treatment. Bipolar disorder is a condition whose patients experience sudden changes in their moods, energy levels, or behavior. They experience these changes in four types of episodes with different symptoms. While researchers continue to look for the cause of the ailment, several factors make you more likely to develop it or have an occurrence.
Bipolar and addiction disorders affect a significant number of Americans. At MD Home Detox we provide mental health treatment services and dual diagnosis treatment centers in Los Angeles. We have professionals who provide tailored treatment that will help you get better. Our professionals combine medications, therapy, and lifestyle changes to give you the best chance of getting better.
Reach out today and begin your journey to recovery.